Thursday, August 23, 2007

Vatican Tour

We're in serious planning/reservation mode. We've started with Rome (first stop).



In order to reserve a tour of the Vatican with an actual Vatican tour guide (as opposed to other third-party guide services), you have to fax a request to the Vatican within 1 month of your tour. They will then confirm via fax the date and time of your tour. Your request should state: number in your party, names, language you prefer for the tour, and contact information so they can fax your confirmation (silence means you didn't get a tour spot). They often don't respond via fax until 1-2 days before the tour so be sure and put your hotel's fax number in Rome.



I followed all of these instructions and was intent on getting it faxed yesterday (with the help of my trusty friend, M)---exactly one month before the date we're requesting. The Vatican posts their fax number as 06/69885100. Now...as for calling from the U.S., I've read where the following numbers have worked for people:

1. 011390669885100 (011 for international calls; 39 for Italy)

2. 0039066885100



I tried both numbers starting at about 4pm CST yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon. I tried until 6:30pm and got all kinds of error messages: (number is busy, no answer, this number is not a fax number). I kept trying and trying after reading many posts of others with similar experiences. I gave up last night totally discouraged! I read somewhere to try in the morning so I tried again (rather trusty M tried again) this morning, and...SUCCESS! The succesful fax was sent at 8:05am CST (and again at 8:25am and 8:34am, but that's another story)! The number that worked for us is: 011390669885100.



Now, whether or not we'll actually get a reserved spot...I'm leaving that worry for another day! As for today, I'll just enjoy this small victory...I got a fax through to the Vatican! Hurray!

No comments: