Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Day 5: Relaxing in Venice

Had every intention of waking up early, but with laundry keeping us up so late, we slept in (until 8:30am that is). Got up, went to find a map at the tourist information booth by St. Mark's (found out that they will charge for absolutely everything here as there was not even a free map and using the public restrooms costs 1E), then headed for a cappuccino and a croissant (yum and 9E total). Off to Rialto Market we went. It was spectacular...a huge area filled with fish and other unidentifiable (and live) sea creatures, fresh fruit and vegetables, and flowers. Lots of outdoor shopping booths, too, so I shopped and I shopped. The Mr. was a good sport and toted around the bags until we both wore out. We had an Italian sausage in a hoagie roll for energy--not bad. It was then back to the apartment for me to do my favorite...review and admire the purchases (and tally up the bills). The Mr. went to the supermarket and grabbed lunch fixin's while I did my nerdy-work. We had lunch atthe table by the windows open to the canal and enjoyed watching the gondolas go by. Then he napped, and I read until mid-afternoon. Just a perfect day.



We went exploring afterwards---saw a church (Santa Marisa Gloriosa dei Frari) and cute little square with lots of natives (Campo Santa Margherita). We went and grabbed a pasta dish afterwards at the same place we ate last night because it was so good (we had a pasta dish with prawns--very good; 24E total) and are now here recounting the day. There is an Internet cafe not too far from the apartment with English keyboards--hurray!

What a great place! The weather is sunny but cooler than Rome (thankfully). More to follow...

Mom, Sis, and Christine...glad to see you're reading! The Mr. got online when we arrived in Rome and saw the score. Glad we didn't see the game!

4 comments:

Lori said...

Glad to see you're relaxing, but think it's quite funny you're still fighting with the maps since you're such an anal person. I can't wait to see the pics. Mom and your dog are here and everyone is doing well. Amber is reading the blogs too. Keep the posts coming. I get good laughs. I see the food is good but is it very costly. You know me and my $$$$. Have fun and love you.

Mom said...

Hey,visions were going through my head when I don't hear from you. I thought you would post when you got to new city. Where are you finding a computer in Venice? Are you cooking at the apartment? Have fun. Scout says woof, woof. She misses Jonathan. Ha Ha

Collyn said...

Hope you all are having a blast! Can one of you call Chase or I's cell as soon as you have a chance?

Cathy said...

Sounds like you're having a wonderful time!! Thanks for sharing your adventures with us!! Things are quiet around the office, other than the occasional missing file (imagine that!!). Marilyn is taking great care of “Charlie” (we don’t know the fish’s name, so we named him that). Have fun!!